Share your thoughts on sustainable development and get a chance to win a prize for you and your school, office or organization
Published 12:13 PM, February 25, 2016
Updated 12:15 PM, February 25, 2016
MANILA, Philippines – This year’s Shell Powering Progress Together carries the theme “Collaboration for a Sustainable Future." Leading thinkers and innovators are again invited to examine and explore how the present can transition to a more resilient and sustainable future amidst climate change challenges.
You can participate in the collaboration yourself by joining Shell and Rappler's Powering Progress Together Viewing Party and Essay Writing Contest.
Take part in spreading the importance and awareness on sustainable development by organizing a viewing party for your school or office. Do this by watching the Shell PPT 2016 live stream on Thursday, March 3, 2016, from 9:00am to 1:30pm.
If there was a presentation, theme, topic, or concept that stood out for you while watching the event, share your thoughts by blogging on RapplerX. Your essay should be between 800 to 1,000 words and include a photo of your viewing party. All posts should also be tagged with the words “Shell PPT 2016” on the keywords section and posted on or before March 11, 2016.
The essays submitted will be reviewed by a panel of judges based on the following criteria: Communication (quality of understanding), Content (depth of reflection and analysis of views) and Writing Mechanics (grammar, punctuation, structure).
The writer of the best essay will win P10,000 for himself and another P10,000 for his school or office.
Full mechanics here:
- The contest, “Shell Powering Progress Together Asia – Manila 2016 Forum Viewing Party and Writing Contest,” is open to the public. Despite the foregoing, employees, representatives or agents of Rappler and Shell are not eligible to join.
- To join, a school, company, or organization must organize a viewing party for the Shell Powering Progress Together Asia – Manila 2016 Forum on Thursday, March 3, 2016, from 9am to 1:30pm. Party is 3 or more individuals. The forum can be viewed on Rappler.com.
- The viewing party can be for the whole forum or for at least one of the four panel presentations.
- School, company, organization, or individual must take a photo of the viewing party as proof.
- Write a blog on a presentation, theme, topic, or concept presented in the forum on RapplerX. Essay should be between 800 – 1,000 words. The blog should include a photo of the viewing party.
- Tag your blog with “Shell PPT 2016” on the keywords section to qualify in the contest. Deadline of submission is Friday, March 11, 2016.
- A board of judges will review entries based on set criteria and determine the winner. Entries that do not comply with specifications will automatically be disqualified.
- Criteria for judging are as follows:
40 points - Communication (quality of understanding)
40 points - Content (depth of reflection and analysis of views)
20 points - Writing Mechanics (grammar, punctuation, structure)
Winner will be notified and informed of awarding schedule. Winner will receive P10,000 in cash, net of tax.
The winner’s school, company or organization will also win P10,000 in cash, net of tax. – Rappler.com
Visit www.shell.com/poweringprogress to learn more about the global forum and www.shellpptasia.com to learn more about the upcoming Manila event.
The Foundation for the Advancement of Life and Insurance Around the World (FALIA) and the Philippine Life Insurance Association, Inc. (PLIA) collaborated on a project titled “Essay Writing Contest for Filipino Senior High School Students on the Importance of Life Insurance”. A media launch of the contest was done on 28 September 2016 at the Insurance Institute for Asia and the Pacific. The awarding ceremony was held on 18 April 2017 at the I’M Hotel, Makati Avenue corner Kalayaan Avenue, Makati City.
[A] The rules that governed the contest are as follows:
The contest is open to Filipino citizens enrolled as senior high school students in SY2016-2017 in one of the schools selected for the pilot program.
Achieving a Happy Life through Effective Financial Planning and Insurance
- How does life insurance strengthen the foundation of my family?
- How does life insurance help an individual attain his/her life and financial goals?
- How does life insurance contribute to an individual’s economic well-being?
- Students who are interested to submit an essay must attend the lecture organized in the school or view the materials and videos provided in the website knowledgecommunity.ph.
- All essays must be written in English, typewritten in black ink using Arial, font size 11, double-spaced and must not go beyond three (3) pages of short bond paper.
- Each essay must be submitted with an Entry Form that can be found in knowledgecommunity.ph. Any entry without the Entry Form, which includes a certification by their teacher/principal that the entry is an original, unpublished work, will be disqualified.
- Only one entry per student every year is allowed. Each entry must be the work of only one student. The student must properly acknowledge and cite all sources.
- Essay entries must be original and unpublished. The copyright for all winning entries will be assigned to the contest organizers. Participants agree to allow the contest organizers, FALIA, PLIA and KCI to use their names, photographs and essays for promotional and publicity purposes.
- Any essay found to be plagiarized will be automatically disqualified and the student will be prohibited from entering any future competitions.
- By entering the competition, participants agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the contest organizers.
Organization of thoughts and flow of discussion 20%
Style (originality, creativity, sentence structure, word choice, audience recognition) 20%
Mechanics (grammar, spelling, punctuation) 10%
Three (3) Grand Prize winners and their school academic coordinator or principal will receive an all-expenses paid trip to Japan plus a P10,000 cash prize for each student.
Three (3) Second Place Winners will each be awarded PhP30,000 each.
Ten (10) Third Place Winners will receive P10,000 each.