Air Force Initial Assignment Briefing

Relocation Assistance

Programs and Services

If a permanent change of station, or PCS, is in your future, you may have questions about moving. As part of the Military and Family Support Center, the Relocation Assistance Program provides services and resources to help make this transition as smooth as possible. Here’s what they offer:

  • Individual PCS planning — Most relocation programs offer one-on-one consultation. In particular, those making their first military move, those making their first overseas move or those with challenging or complex situations should contact the relocation assistance office.
  • MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and Plan My Move — For managing and planning your move, you may want to take advantage of these DoD-sponsored online relocation tools. You can estimate expenses, locate forms for housing and property shipments, and create a moving calendar.
  • Loan closet — Where available, loan closets offer basic household goods while your personal property is in transit. Typical items include pots and pans, dishes, silverware, irons, ironing boards and infant or toddler car seats. Generally, towels and bed linens are not available, so these should be packed in your express shipment.
  • Workshops and briefings — Workshops vary from installation to installation, but you may find classes on purchasing real estate and renting, budgeting and finance, moving with children or general moving preparation.
  • Pre-departure briefings — These briefings may be called Smooth Move or PCS Briefing, and they provide essential information to prevent you from making uninformed and costly decisions before your move.
  • Settling-in services — Welcome wagon services, local area tours (with child care sometimes provided), or basic household items to use until your goods arrive may be a part of your installation’s settling-in services. Overseas arrival services may include introductory language classes and cultural awareness training.
  • Foreign-born spouse support — Whether your question concerns immigration and naturalization, learning the English language or how to use local transportation, the relocation program provides assistance, classes and referrals.
  • Emergency assistance — From time to time, emergencies occur while moving. The Relocation Assistance Program office has the resources to provide emergency financial assistance and referrals.

Installation Specific Information

The Buckley AFB Airman and Family Readiness Center Relocation staff offers a monthly Right Start newcomer briefing on the third Wednesday of each month. The program consists of an Introduction followed by an Information Fair that provides newcomers with important information on the services and agencies available in the Buckley/Denver Metro Area.

The Child Care For PCS program sponsored by the Air Force Aid Society is available at Buckley AFB.

When the MPF receives an assignment notification, it is sent to the appropriate unit with an initial assignment briefing date. Ninety days prior to the projected departure date (PDD) the member receives orders and approximately 60 days prior to PDD should contact the transportation office. If the move is overseas, the SPA processes port call request paperwork and receives confirmation approximately 30 days prior to PDD. The member receives any tickets needed and port call instructions (overseas PCS only) at the final out processing briefing.

Associated Links

Military OneSource
Provides access to 24/7 counseling, information and referral for service families, and if relocating, search for Culture Grams that can provide useful information about your new duty location.

Military Youth on the Move
Answers to military children and teen concerns.

Military Child Education Coalition
Provides information and resources on military education needs.

Transition GPS
Official web site for verification of military service for transitioning service members.

AF Wounded Warrior Program
Provides benefits and services available to wounded warriors and families.

Department of Defense-sponsored website for kids impacted by the deployment of parents and caregivers.

USA4 Military Families
Seeks to engage and educate state policymakers, not-for-profit associations, concerned business interests, and other state leaders about the needs of military members and their families.

Q: Do we process tourist passports?
A: no.

Q: How long does it takes to process passports and visa?
A: 6 to 8 weeks for both

Q: Can I do my passport and visa at the same time?
A: It depends on the country. You can go to the foreign country guide to find out which countries.

Q: How long does it take to receive PCS orders?
A: 7 to 10 days after all requirement documents have been submitted.

Q: When am I eligible to reenlist?
A: First term airman 12 months prior to DOS, second term career airman 90 days prior to DOS unless you have a service directed retainability requirement.

Q: Why does my DOS and ETS not match?
A: If they do not match, then you have an extension that you have not entered into yet.

Q: When will I receive my CJR?
A: 4 year enlistees CJR window is on the first duty day of the 35th month but NLT the last duty day of the 43rd month. 6 year enlistees CJR window is on the first duty day of the 59th month, but NLT the last duty day of the 67th month.

Q: I just got an assignment, what do I do?
A: Wait for your email from career development. We will send an email with everything that you need for your assignment and schedule you for an initial assignment briefing.

Q: What are your hours?
A: 0730-1530, Walk in hours: Mon, Wed, Fri 0900 – 1100 Tues & Thurs 0800 – 1100.
Passports and visas are done by appointment only and any information or questioned can be sent via email to:

Q: Do you do civilian dependent ID cards?
A: If you are a current civilian employee, you will come here with your dependents with marriage certificate, driver’s license or state ID for spouse. For children, bring the birth certificate, and social security card.

Q: Do you do civilian retiree dependent ID cards?
A: No. DEERS will issue civilian retiree ID cards.

Q: How do I apply for separation or retirement?
A: Apply through vMPF in the separation or retirements link.

Questions for DEERS

What do I need if my ID was lost, stolen, or expired and taken at the gate?
For CAC’s you will need a letter from your unit explaining what happened to the CAC and signed by your Security Manager, Director or Commander, or a police report.

What forms of ID’s are accepted for ID card issuance?

  • You must have an unexpired Primary and a Secondary ID to obtain a new ID.
  • VA Card and Student ID are not accepted.
  • All customers 18 and over must provide two forms of ID.
  • Primary ID must be one of the following:
    • Military, Civilian and Contractor ID
    • Driver’s License
    • US Passport Book or Passport Card
    • Foreign National ID with photograph
    • Foreign Passport
  • Secondary ID:
    • Voters Registration Card
    • Birth Certificate original or certified
    • Driver’s License
    • Social Security Card
    • Photo ID issued by Federal, State, or local government

What do I need to do to update my Dependent at age 21?

  • Students can be updated 90 days before their 21st Birthday.
  • All letters must be from the Registrar’s Office or Student Clearinghouse online.
  • Updating their full-time status while they are currently enrolled in a semester:
    • Current enrollment letter from the Registrar Office stating full-time, in an associate’s degree or higher, current semester attending, anticipated graduation date.
  • Updating their full-time status while they are NOT currently enrolled in a semester:
    • Previous semester letter stating full-time status AND an acceptance or enrollment letter for the next semester.

At what age does my ID become indefinite?

  • For the military sponsor it’s the age of 65
  • For dependents it’s the age of 75

What do I need to update my marriage?

  • Marriage Certificate
  • Birth Certificate of spouse
  • Driver’s License of Spouse
  • Social Security Card of Spouse

How do I make an appointment?

Where are the nearest CAC reset stations?

What is needed to update Initial Enlistment Bonus?

  • AF 3008- Supplement to Enlistment Agreement
  • DD FM 4/1, 4/2/ & 4/3
  • Technical School Training Certificate

Force Management Operations (FMO)
Questions and Answers (Q/A)

(1) Q. Where can I find the most up to date information on vPC?
Ans. All information regarding vPC can be found on Please ensure you also click on “Notify Me” on the bottom of the page. This allows you to be notified of any updates to the page.

(2) Q. How do I initiate sites for evaluations?
Ans. Only MPF Management and CSS roles can initiate evaluations on members. This should only be used in rare instances. Reference the vPC CSS Evaluations Processing Handbook. Evaluations can only be initiated if a current open Evaluation does not already exist in vPC for that Ratee.

(3) Q. Is vPC able to route to an org box?
Ans. No. This capability will not be added.

(4) Q. Currently, vPC does not have the ability to prevent other MPSs from granting any access into another MPS ID
Ans. Until this enhancement is fielded, all MPSs should be working with each other to grant access into another MPS ID. As vPC is built using the PAS Admin Table, keep in mind that if the table is altered, it takes 72 hours to flow in vPC and can affect other items that are driven by MilPDS to include delivery of print products. Furthermore, the use of the PAS Admin Table does not give the capability the chain of command (parent-child hierarchy) to see all reports they are required to review or coordinate.

(5) Q. Decorations are being finalized and are displaying in PRDA, however, MilPDS is not updating after a week. How long should it take for MilPDS to update?
Ans. Contact your servicing MPS (FMO @ DSN 472-6861 or to ensure MilPDS was manually updated to reflect your decoration.

0 thoughts on “Air Force Initial Assignment Briefing”


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *